Saturday, November 14, 2009

a walk and a fall

I got Mom to eat a large lunch. She was starved after having slept through all of yesterday. I also put her through her paces with the spirometer; she didn't do as well as I'd hoped she would, but we have to make allowances for her having missed a day of doing anything.

We had wanted to get Mom walking; the plan went from taking her to Pentagon City to taking her to the local park to making her walk the wheelchair ramp to walking some laps inside the house. Mom was cold inside the house, even though it seemed warm to me, so I added some layers to her clothing and took her walking through the house's upstairs level. She did well, but she fell at the beginning, right at the moment when I turned around to kick an ottoman out of the way. All it took was an instant of inattention on my part, and Mom was down. Luckily, she didn't fall hard; I was able to catch her before she sat down all the way. The couch itself helped cushion the impact; she's not hurt, but I was left feeling awfully guilty for not having realized just how off-balance she was.

Dinner for Mom tonight will be budae-jjigae, which I haven't made in a while. Still not sure what I'll be making for Dad, but pesto shrimp is likely.


_

No comments: