Sunday, April 26, 2009

so how is Mom?

Mom seems a lot happier and more comfortable. She sits and eats with my aunt, or watches Korean TV with her. Last night, Mom dozed off together with her sister, reliving their childhood. Dad ended up in a different bed, but if anyone needs a few hours of peace and quiet, it is he.

Mom gets visitors, too. My brothers came by today; Sean arrived earlier, and David just left to go to work. Mom's long-time friend Mrs. Lee, who had visited her yesterday afternoon at the hospital, stopped by again today, her youngest daughter in tow, bringing the requisite raft of Korean food. We've got no worries for dinner tonight, though poor Dad might have to find some non-spicy alternatives to the upcoming meal (Dad loves Korean food, but can't handle spices).

Thanks to the visitors and the mass of cards now sitting atop Mom's recently renovated mantel, one thing Mom is not is alone. Not that she ever was, really, but this fact has been brought home again and again in recent days as visits, food, flowers, cards, and other gifts continue to come her way. Dad has been doing great work fielding calls and trying to schedule visits so that they're staggered across the week. At the same time, he's researching insurance questions and assembling Mom's various medicines. I find myself downstairs, providing updates on the blog and answering a slew of emails and Facebook messages while also sketching out crucial aspects of the family's future. My friends in Korea and France have been very supportive, asking after Mom's condition.

For the moment, then, Mom is doing very well, indeed.


_

5 comments:

augusta said...

Okay Kevin, thanks for the update on your Mom. ..and what about you? How are you doing with everything ?

Kevin Kim said...

Augusta,

I'm holding up. We all are. One day at a time, one moment at a time.


Kevin

Charles said...

Glad to hear that you have a good support network on the ground there.

Maven said...

Good grief... this is the first post of yours in a while that I've read (I've been out of the loop a while, obviously).

Much love to you and your family and a hope for a speedy recovery for mom.

Now I need to dig a bit and read up on what's been going on.

XOXO,
Maven

Kevin Kim said...

Charles,

Thanks. By the way, I enjoyed your brother's website. If I had the money, I'd buy something right now, but I need to get re-employed first.

Maven,

I started blogging about Mom on April 16.


Kevin