Friday, March 6, 2009

choices, choices

I still haven't been out to see "Gran Torino" or "Doubt," both of which linger in one or two local theaters. But just as cells in your body die and make way for newer cells, a new crop of movies is out this month, with two in particular grabbing my attention. The first is "Race to Witch Mountain," a remake of a film I remember seeing when I was a kid in the 1970s. The second is Zack Snyder's version of the classic 1980s-era graphic novel "Watchmen," which apparently has a 2:40:00 running time but looks-- if the trailers don't lie-- like it might be worth emptying my wallet for.

Of the two, "Watchmen" looks to be the surer bet.


_

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just got back from the Watchmen, saw it in an IMAX cinema with the wife. She was a bit lost, but I thought it was pretty awesome. Of course, it's been over fifteen years since I read the graphic novel, and even after seeing the film I could not tell you how faithful it was to the original, because I don't remember anything. All I remember is that it blew me away when I read it, but I don't remember how or why.

Anyway, the film is good. It has a bit of the Akira problem (trying to stuff a hefty graphic novel into a feature-length film), but it doesn't go all "Tetsuo!" on you in the end. Which is nice. Definitely worth seeing on the big screen.

Gran Torino is opening here in a week or so, I think. Definitely going to have to see that one.