Thursday, November 13, 2008

a quick yes or no question about Citibank

If I establish a Citibank account here, can people in Korea wire cash to it in the normal Korean "gyaejwa-ichae" or "gyaejwa-songgeum" style?

I've heard rumors that this is possible, and there's a chance I may have some proofreading work coming to me from Koreans in Korea. A lot of Koreans send each other cash through quick and simple ATM wire transfers, not via PayPal or other means familiar to Americans. Bank account numbers are bandied about like phone numbers in Korea; one simply tells the payer one's bank name and account number, and they go to an ATM and send the money to one's account-- no fuss, no muss.

So-- is it a "yes" for Citibank? Should I start up an account?


_

4 comments:

JW said...

Hmnn, I dunno about your area, but here in NYC metro, we got a bunch of WOORI USA banks that do all the transfers to Korea without surcharge and lag problems. Well, what do you know, I just checked and there's a branch in VA

Annandale Branch
Seoul Plaza 4231 Markham St
Annandale, VA 22003
Tel 703) 256-7633

Anonymous said...

I'd say call Citibank and ask them directly.

PREPPIN'

Kevin Kim said...

Dig,

Found Citi's 1-800 number, called it this morning around 9:30, but it's for members only. Maybe there's a different number to call. I didn't hear an "operator" option.

JW,

Great info! Thanks. That's why I floated this question to the readership. Annandale is Koreatown, about a 40-minute drive from where I am.


Kevin

Anonymous said...

Yeah, there's probably a different main Citi number to call. Wouldn't make sense for them to not have an 800 number for general inquiries. I think there's a new Citibank branch in old town where the old Kinkos yewsuh tew bee.