Monday, September 1, 2008

solar-powered depilation

I ended up falling asleep without showering last night, and woke up today (Labor Day Monday) at the crack of 10:30. Guess I was tired.

The morning shower involved scrubbing off several layers of dead skin from my face and forearms, as well as saying goodbye to a lot of hair. To be baked in the sun is, effectively, to suffer radiation burns, and as might happen to the victims of a nuclear plant disaster, my hair fell out in startling amounts as I was scrubbing my scalp clean.

I exaggerate, of course: I didn't exit the shower half bald, with fistfuls of hair in my tub's drain. But I did lose a lot more hair than the usual five strands, and I do think the loss had a lot to do with my near-constant exposure to sunlight.

The list of things to do over the next few days includes:

-laundry (always a must)
-leg exercises
-familiarizing myself with the path ahead (i.e., reading maps, gauging distances, looking up city info online)
-sending out feelers to colleges along my projected path to see about gathering some profs, students, and interested locals for talks on religion (as well as to help me navigate the path ahead)
-finding out about a hospital visit (thanks, Lori, for the contact info)
-contacting some of the folks on the list Becky gave me (to arrange meetings)
-to see about whether I can find some cheap on-campus housing for a week or two (I want to take advantage of my pause in Walla Walla to do more transcription at a university library computer)
-to finalize dates and locations for my dad so he can come out west and be my chase car
-to learn how to get around Walla Walla if there's a public transportation system here

There's probably more that I need to do (I've actually got a few ideas for mug and tee shirt designs I'd like to slap online), but I need to jog my memory about what those things are. Tomorrow, I'm going to visit the nearby Walla Walla University, whose access road I passed a couple miles back while on my way into town yesterday evening. This week, I also need to visit Whitman College where, according to Becky, I'm more likely to find computers I can use. I'd also like to visit the Whitman Mission, which promises to offer a great deal of insight into how two very different cultures and religious systems interacted.

Much to do. Saegyae-ga neolb-go hallil-i mantda-- the world is wide and there's much to do. (This was the title of a long-ago Korean bestseller.)

_

2 comments:

chuck said...

Kevin, You wouldn't be so tired if you would just walk your miles and not think so much,, that thinking is really tiring. Glad you made it in one piece. there are bus services in town and taxis. Hope you get all done that you need.

Becky said...

Whitman Mission will be quite a walk, and in the direction you came from, I do believe. But it is worth a visit. The grounds are beautiful, and the history is great, indeed.

Hope you were able to find some computers you could use. Have you been able to connect with anyone I gave you names for?