Sunday, September 28, 2008

return to the sweaty armpit

My walk south along the I-5 corridor of Washington involved a good bit of rain, but after spending about 170 or so miles on I-84, plus another 60 or 70 miles walking up Route 730 and along Route 12 to Walla Walla, I came to appreciate the generally low humidity that came with moving into the high desert region.

I didn't realize how low the humidity was, however, until I got back to northern Virginia, where we're currently enduring a good bit of rain. My first few steps onto the jetway at National Airport yesterday felt as though I were being herded into a giant armpit.

I hate humidity. I've never gotten used to it. The DC-Metro area sucks in the summer, and South Korea's even worse. Malcolm, a fellow humidity-hater writing from New York City, puts the matter eloquently in this post.


_

1 comment:

ClearlyEnlight, said...

If you don't like the humidity, stay away from Beirut in the summer, we are talking 80% humidity and 95*F.

Nasty.