Tuesday, September 2, 2008

computer usage: the narrow pipeline

My CouchSurfing correspondent Becky (how're things out east?) had told me that Walla Walla University probably wouldn't be able to cater to my computer usage needs because they operate on something like a members-only system: no guest logins.

I therefore called the other big college in the area: Whitman College, and found out that the library would probably not be able to help me out because the school year has started, which means the computers will all be occupied (it astounds me that so many students are still without computers, given how cheap the midrange ones are). Not only that, but Whitman College also allows students to log on for only fifteen minutes(!).

The librarian I spoke with suggested I try the Walla Walla Public Library, so I called them and was told they would indeed allow guest users, but only for 90 minutes per day. The library also has a bizarre policy: the guest-user courtesy is extended only to those who can prove they live more than fifty miles away. I didn't ask the staffer why they had such a policy, but I imagine the library sees itself as helping out-of-towners on the assumption that local yokels would have their own easy-to-access computers at home or at the office. Come to think of it, that's not such an outlandish rationale, especially if you're a library IT person trying to minimize the amount of virus cleanup you have to do every day.

There's a community college in town as well; I might limp over to them, too, but right now the object of the game is to find a new place to stay. The Comfort Inn at which I'm staying is over $100 a night; I'm used to prices in the $40-$65 range.

I sent an email to a contact that Becky had given me; haven't heard from him yet, but hope to hear from him soon. He's attached to WWU, as is Becky, and I'm hoping that a meeting with him will also lead to meetings with local students. We'll see how things go.


_

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kevin, Just wondering what is the cleanliness factor in your hotels? Have you had any concerns yet with those issues?

Anonymous said...

You must love me- you don't even know me- and I have asked about physical intimacy on the road ( or lack thereof) and now cleanliness...LOL

Becky said...

I'm sorry you're having such a heck of a time finding a computer to use. I'd let you use mine if I were there!

We fly out of Seattle tomorrow and hit New York tomorrow evening. Fun times! I'll say hello to the East Coast for you.

Omandazzzler said...

I'm feeling out things on CS for you - I sent emails to about 10 people, so we'll see who responds. I sent them a link to your CS profile and your blog and told them they could give you their info on here or write back to me and I'd pass the info along...hopefully somebody'll respond!

chuck said...

Hey Kevin, if you want to come over and use the old relick computer of ours you are more than welcome and I won't even charge or limit your time on it. Call me at the house.

Kevin Kim said...

Becky,

Thanks. I'm sure things will work out.

Augusta,

No real problems with cleanliness thus far.


Kevin

desertchick said...

I truly wasn't kidding about the Library system here...it really is kind of sucky!
Sorry you're having such a time.

Any luck finding new digs?

Kevin Kim said...

Chuck,

You're already doing so much for me that it'd be wrong for me to ask for more. Also, for transcription purposes, I'll need access to a computer that can quickly handle large volumes of data, which is why I prefer one of the speedy machines on college campuses.

Amanda,

Thanks for doing the CS legwork!

Just FYI, potential hosts should know that, sometime this month, my dad'll be coming out west, so if they say "yes" to lodging me, they're saying "yes" to lodging my dad as well.

Thanks again to both of you for looking out for me. Chuck, I'll be seeing you soon when I turn back around to go south.


Kevin