Tuesday, September 23, 2008

assorted thought-dump

1. Spent two hours fruitlessly attempting to boot up the laptop, which has decided to rebel. Gonna ask my host whether he has a Windows XP startup disk so I can try a boot-from-disk. No transcribing done today; whether you'll see a transcript tomorrow is in doubt.

2. Went to the Spirituali-Tea, which today was about meditation and mindfulness. Much to write about, but would rather do the writing on a regular keyboard. Typing on the B-Berry's keyboard remains as pénible as ever.

3. Conferred with Cousin Marie, who can swing me a "buddy pass" so I can fly for free back to Virginia. The catch: I have to leave from a major airport, which rules out Walla Walla and Pasco/Tri-Cities. Marie's suggestions: Seattle or Portland. Ouch. That's 200-350 miles back the way I came.

4. Just talked with Dad, who reports two major setbacks (I'm tempted to say "disasters") on the renovation front: (a) the house's ancient oil-based heating system is being taken out rather unprofessionally, and heating oil now covers the basement floor; (b) construction apparently has to stop because of a problem with the plans being used. Long story. Upshot: Dad says, "I'm sorry, Kevin, but I simply can't leave Mom alone to deal with this." Believe me, I understand.

5. Obvious fallout: no chase car for the foreseeable future, which means it's time to consider options. I'll devote a separate post to those.


_

No comments: