Sunday, August 31, 2008

in Walla Walla at last

A quickie before I shower: I arrived at the Comfort Inn that sits on the western edge of Walla Walla at 8:30PM on the dot-- exactly as I thought I would. My walking speed was a gimpy 2.67mph; the distance, according to Chuck's odometer, was a little over 24 miles. I would never have made it without Chuck's help (he brought along my huge backpack, which I left at the hotel in the morning), my painkillers, and Chuck's knee brace. Take away any one of these factors and I would have been a quivering, weeping mass of Kev-jello. Instead, I moved along at a decent clip, was twice offered a ride into town, and even saw Marti (my massage therapist) and her hubby Merlin, who were heading west on Merlin's bike. Merlin struck me as a laid-back guy, and there did seem to be something of the wizard about him. In all, a good birthday. My thanks to everyone who sent in birthday wishes, as well as to the folks who called me while I was on the road.

Now I need a shower, and possibly some dinner, though as always I'm more thirsty than hungry.


_

4 comments:

desertchick said...

Way to rock Kevin!
Dang! You made good time today!
Glad you didn't become Kev-jello.
Now for a much needed physical break I'm sure, and onto the mental stuff at the University.
Hope you have a great stay in Walla Walla.
Take Care.
TTYS

Unknown said...

Ack! As always, I'm late for the party...Happy (belated) Birthday, Kevin!

And take care of that knee of yours.

Malcolm Pollack said...

Yes, happy (belated) birthday, Kevin.

Anonymous said...

OH CHA CHA CHA!