Sunday, July 27, 2008

whoa

If I'm not careful, this could be me.

Actually, I'm not the type to text while walking, nor do I like talking on the phone while walking. In both cases, I prefer to stop and devote my full attention to the telephone/online activity, not so much because I'm practicing mindfulness as because I'm an awful multitasker.

Because stopping during my walk is a chore-- it's devilishly hard to start back up again-- I prefer to make and receive calls only when I've settled somewhere. When I'm on the road, I'm sweaty, which means drenching the BlackBerry in sweat when someone calls.

This is one reason why I prefer emails and text messages. I've tried walking and talking before, but often find it hard to hear my interlocutor. The effort of talking while walking doesn't seem worth it when most conversations become laced with "Can you hear me now?"s and "Say again?"s, despite having the volume on maximum setting.


_

No comments: