Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Es regnet!

I left my BlackBerry in the campground's main building to charge for two hours, from 6 to 8PM. During that time, Mother Nature finally realized she hadn't truly rained on me in a while, so after teasing us all day with light and random shower activity, she suddenly opened the floodgates and let loose with a real summer rain.

This changes my immediate plans, of course, because unlike the typical weekend traveler, I can't say to myself, "I can pack the tent wet; I'll just air it out when I get home." My tent, billed as a "three-season" shelter (i.e., all but winter), goes where I go, and home isn't a place I'll be seeing for at least another year. Packing the tent wet means risking mold and mildew.

So I can't afford simply to pack and go; the tent will need time to dry up and air out, and since tomorrow's forecast is partly cloudy, I'm hoping that'll be sufficient for my purposes.

Upshot: I'm staying an extra day.

PS: Internet capability restored, but wouldn't you know it: I still can't access Blogger (the browser times out), so I'm once again resorting to moblogging via email.


_
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suspect that you'll be able to pack the tent wet... because you're popping it open the next night. It'll air out enough at that point.

I just don't think you'd want to pack it wet multiple nights in a row, or pack it wet and then crash at a motel or someone's place for a few nights. Then it'll likely mildew.

Although, come to think of it, it's going to probably smell funky by the end of the journey anyway- but better to put that time off for a while if you're able!

Anonymous said...

mildew the dew?