Thursday, June 19, 2008

from Auburn to Lakewood

I'm going to be travelling from Auburn to Lakewood (just south of Tacoma) tomorrow; MapQuest plots this as a 21.89-mile route (remember, I have to avoid the interstate), which ought to present a decent challenge to my nearly-recuperated feet. I think I'll start early tomorrow-- very early. Say, 6:30 or 7:00AM. Early to bed, early to rise...

With the trekking poles, I'm hoping to make decent time as I stilt my way across the landscape like a tardy Olympian who's missed the biathlon. The poles were helpful when I was barely able to put any weight on my feet; I'm confident they'll be even more of a boon now.

I'm hoping to be staying at either an abbey or (gasp) a convent in the vicinity of Lacey on Saturday; the stay won't be free, but will provide me an address to which my father can send some supplies (bill me for the equipment and shipping cost, Dad). I'm a bit worried about adding yet more weight to the pack, but these are necessaries: a new sleeping bag and a one-man tent, both of which Dad selected based on quality and, just as important, weight.

Speaking of weight: when I was in Kent, Rico noted that I was carrying around too much cotton (jeans, socks, shirts), so I might be switching all that out for lighter-weight materials at some point in the near future.

So that's the plan for the next few days. Keep those fingers and tentacles crossed.

_
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

5 comments:

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Kevin, I am at a Yonsei computer that can handle your site (I'm still wary of using my home laptop), and I'm happy to see that you're going strong . . . even if limping along.

You and Tiger Woods.

Keep at it. You'll never regret this walk, and I can see that you're already learning a lot.

We're cheering you on.

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

Kevin Kim said...

Thanks, Jeff.


Kevin

Anonymous said...

told yew about the cotton clothes a long time ago, hatte!

Malcolm Pollack said...

Really, you are an inspiration to us all, Kevin.

Jeffery, I'm sorry I never followed up on the problems you were having with reading Kevin's blog on your other computer. I think it might have been sitting too close to a fan.

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

Malcolm, I've just accessed from my home laptop, and there now seems to be no problem.

I notice that the fan is off...

Jeffery Hodges

* * *