Friday, May 16, 2008

for the first time ever... but not for long

My Smoo pension payment came, so I've got over $10,000 in my bank account. I'm expecting another $500 from the accounting office of my old job in Kangnam (you'll recall that the National Pension Office washed its hands of the problem), so for a brief moment I'll be enjoying what it feels like to be the proud owner of a five-digit sum.

After I finish buying supplies, this will dwindle to four digits (about $9000), and that's what I'll be left with for the rest of my walk. That's not much: if we include the $1000 I currently have in PayPal, I have enough for a ten-month walk. I'm either going to have to earn money along the way, or will need more contributions to keep on going. In theory, the walk can be completed in ten months' time, but in reality I expect it to take longer, hence the need for more money.

One possible mitigating factor is that I've tried to include a $400 buffer every month to allow for expenses incurred en chemin. Because of my scholastic debt, I know I'll be spending at least $600 per month. Because I've budgeted $1000/month, the remaining $400 will cover things like the occasional food purchase, the very occasional hotel/motel stay, cell phone usage, equipment and medicine/vitamin replacement (unless some kind souls are willing to toss me hand-me-downs), and so on. I'm walking on a tightrope, here: $400/month is enough to anticipate mundane occurrences, but the entire budget goes out the window if I'm seriously injured or laid low by by a nasty illness.

This is a journey based on faith, though, so let's keep our fingers and tentacles crossed, think positively, and hope for the best. I won't be trying any adventure hiking and have no desire to take any risks of any sort along the way, which I'm betting will minimize the dangers in which I might find myself. Once I'm hooked up with a decent phone that offers access to GPS and weather forecasts, I'll be even better prepared for what's out there. I hope.

People are encouraged to help out by buying my book or other Walk-related CafePress products (the list of products continues to grow, so check back now and again)... I'll be much obliged if you do. Donations are also welcome; see the PayPal button on the sidebar.

[NB: Some people are uncomfortable using PayPal. If you're one of them and prefer to do things old-school, I'll be renting a PO Box in the next few days and will publicize that address when I have it. You can then send a check or money order there. I wouldn't advise sending cash through the mail.]


_

No comments: