Thursday, May 15, 2008

a bit over 30 miles... achy but alive

Thirty miles. The walk took a long time and suffered a few delays, but I did it.

I finally got blisters today-- one on the heel of my left foot and another on my right pinky toe. My feet and knees, while not screaming, are nonetheless relieved that I'm sitting.

Results: the walk went from 7:37AM to 6:41PM, just a little over 11 hours for over thirty miles. It might have been closer to 31 miles (I detoured to pick up a tent from a fellow church member), but I need to check. Right now, I'm chafed, sunburned, and tired, so I'll save further details for tomorrow, when I'll be able to concentrate harder and calculate distances on Google Earth more accurately than I can in my current woozy state.

One thing I'll note now, though: the jump from 20 miles to 30 miles is harder than the jump from 10 miles to 20 miles. I suspect this is because the distance takes me to my current limits (keep in mind I've got a long way to go before I can even think about declaring myself in "good shape"), and also because comfortably walking 30 miles in a day is near the upper limit for almost everyone except those at marathon and ultramarathon levels of fitness.

More later. I took photos to prove I did the distance, so you'll see those-- mixed in with earlier photos of the bike trail-- tomorrow.


_

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

take picture of duckies floatin' bloatin' NOTE GOATIN' in pondies?