Saturday, April 26, 2008

that's all, folks

It's 5AM and I'm at the office, transferring files to my memory stick (thanks for the stick, Tom). I've done just about all that can be done-- I've thrown out everything unnecessary, shipped most personal items to friends (thanks again, Joe and Sperwer), given away other personal items (thanks, Terry), gotten my replacement teachers up to speed, and done about as much cleaning and scouring as I care to do. All that's left is to make sure my travel paperwork is organized, pack my bags the rest of the way, and move on out.

I'd like to thank the friends who've been so helpful-- they've provided everything from moral support to monetary contributions to storage space. Guys, your friendship means more than you can know, and I owe you all big-time.

I'd also like to thank Sookmyung Women's University (my mother's old school) for having given me the best job I've ever had in Korea. My students know how much I've complained about working in hagweons before I came to Smoo. University life has been very, very different from life in the hagweons; I was pleasantly surprised about that when I joined Smoo in April of 2005.

First and foremost, the schedule has always been bearable: I've never worked weekends here, and have always had two solid months of vacation (plus a month's worth of breaks scattered throughout the year), which is what has kept me sane. Secondly, and just as important, the bosses have been kind to me. I've never sensed any malice from them-- only good intentions. Finally, I've had a wonderful time with my students, who have forgiven my many faults and have allowed me to grow and improve as a teacher.

Teaching English wasn't what I originally intended to do with my life, but it has become something I enjoy. It provides my life a great deal of meaning, and while teaching can be frustrating (especially when I'm faced with unmotivated students), it's also very rewarding.

I'll miss the people I've met, the many hundreds of students I've taught. I regret not having explored Korea more during my time here, but when I come back from my trans-America walk, I hope to learn more about Korea, acquire some traditional Korean skills (especially calligraphy), and gain a deeper appreciation of my mother's culture.

But right now, the walk looms ahead. It's time to focus on the present, and in the next few hours, that means traveling to the airport, getting on the plane, and eventually reuniting with family and friends in the States.

Until next time, Korea!


_

2 comments:

Malcolm Pollack said...

Have a good trip home, Kevin, and may fortune smile upon this new adventure.

Anonymous said...

be careful! :)
I really wish you have great time during walking.