Wednesday, April 16, 2008

frank

One of the most interesting aspects of working at a Korean women's university is the occasionally hilarious or thought-provoking text message. In my three years here at Smoo, there's one message I've received two or three times that's been both disturbing and funny. It has appeared in various forms, but usually goes something like this:

Teacher! I can't come to class today because it's my period.

I mention this because I got such a message just today. Incredible, how frank these girls can be. Maybe I should be teaching English expressions like "on the rag," "riding the cotton pony," and "PMS-ing."


_

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

But where is the connection between having her period and her not being able to go to class?

preppin'
toe teppin'

kwandongbrian said...

But, period is an acceptable term for class, right? In high school, I had first period physics, second period English...

I think she had a conflict in her classes; two classes scheduled at the same time; perhaps it was an irregular class, held once every few weeks.

Kevin Kim said...

Brian,

What she actually wrote was:

Kevin~ I'm [name removed]. I have bad period pains. Sorry, AND can I take an examination