Friday, March 14, 2008

places I'd like to visit during the Walk

I'd love to be able to hit any (or all!) of the following:

churches/cathedrals (of various denominations)
temples (Buddhist, Sikh, Hindu, etc.)
religious centers (Zen centers and the like)
mosques
ashrams (wherever they might be)
cloisters/hermitages
universities (I'd like to pepper the Walk with some academese)
synagogues

As mentioned before, I understand that I most likely won't be sleeping overnight in the actual houses of worship; that's fine with me. Spending a night at the home of a clergyperson or layperson is a delightful prospect.

You may have noticed that I mentioned universities above. That was deliberate: while I hope to spend most of my time meeting folks from all different backgrounds, I think it might be a good idea to mingle, periodically, with academics. Why? Because while academics might occasionally be off in their own little worlds, it's that very distance that often allows them to see the Big Picture, to put matters in perspective, to tease out grand themes and underlying concepts. And let's face it: while I'll never be a truly rigorous scholar, I do share certain geeky personality traits with hardcore academics. It'll be a pleasure to talk with them.

As the Walk approaches, I realize more and more how little I actually know about any of the religions I hope to encounter, including my own. This occurred to me the other day as I was mulling over the question of timing-- I'll be arriving at certain holy sites at special times of the year. What ceremonies will I be likely to see? Not knowing much about the liturgical calendars of the major religions (even with Buddhism, the religion with which I am most acquainted outside of Christianity, my studies tended to focus more on the metaphysical aspects and less on the concrete, practical questions of ritual, liturgy, and other "external" signs of praxis), I have no idea what I might be walking into, although I'm pretty sure I won't be encountering any human sacrifice.

Anyway, the thought of passing by (and through) the great diversity of the American religious landscape, of meeting all sorts of interesting people and talking with them about interreligious issues, has me very much looking forward to this journey.


_

1 comment:

Britt Elizabeth Verstegen said...

Kevin, I hope you will visit the Bahá'í House of Worship in Wilmette, Illinois near Chicago. Religious diversity is cherished by Bahá'ís and I know you would enjoy it. Also, if you're near Madison, Wisconsin, shoot me a letter and I'll give you accomodation. britt.verstegen at gmail.... Have you read Joseph Cambell's books? He speaks of the hero's journey. You are embarked on such a quest. I often feel our modern society lacks the rites of passage that unify indigenous cultures and bring enlightenment to young people. Your journey is such a rite a rite of passage. It will transform you in ways you cannot yet imagine, and it will bring you in closer unity with others. I'm 40 now and my journey is still in process...I guess "youth" extends far in our culture, ha-ha. I admire what you are doing. Follow your bliss! It may seem crazy to others but it is bringing you closer to God and understanding. Truly, that is all that matters.